I know that it doesn't talk about "death panels", euthanasia, abortions, etc. But other than that, it is a 1,000 page bill. And my representatives won't even read it.
So far, from what [little] I do know:
- People are angry on both sides.
- The right says the left are being thugs at the town halls
- The left says the right are being thugs at the town halls
- I've seen pictures/videos of both of them doing it
- I doubt there are many "paid" disrupters
- Lies are being thrown about by both sides as to what exactly this bill is or isn't
I have some opinions:
- The Representatives/Senators we've elected need to read the thing, in its entirety, before voting either way
- People need to calm down at the town hall meetings, and stop shouting over each other
- While I feel for the uninsured, I don't think now is the time to fix this
- Thus, I don't like it that Obama is rushing this through
Therefore, before giving healthcare to everyone, I think we need to do something more important: fix the healthcare system for those of us who already have healthcare. If you watch the movie Sicko by Michael Moore, regardless of how you feel about him, this brilliant documentary really shows how the insurance companies screw us over. There are "death" panels on private insurance companies' payroll; there are people who decide if they should pay for healthcare based on monetary/accounting figures. My sister almost died because the insurance company wouldn't approve her MRI to see what was wrong with her. When my parents finally just borrowed the money to do it anyway, they found a life threatening disease that would have killed my sister had they not caught it in time.
And that is wrong. My parents pay for healthcare.
This is what needs to be fixed. Otherwise, we are going to replace these corrupt beaurecrats with government ones, and everyone will deal with these guys. Fix the system we have now, don't just shuffle who pays for it and give it to everyone.